AFRUCA works with families on a one-to-one basis to provide child protection awareness and positive parenting skills to parents and carers of black / African background. By building parents’ knowledge and skills, we aim to reduce the number of black / African children subject to child protection plans and reduce the number of children removed from their families and placed in the care system.
We accept referrals from statutory agencies such as Children’s Services departments and the Police and we also accept referrals from individuals.
When working with a family, AFRUCA’s child protection support services offer parents dedicated support on an individual basis. We aim to:
- Build knowledge of UK law as it applies to children and help parents navigate the child protection system.
- Offer advice on specific cultural practices and how they are understood within the child protection system in the UK.
- Support parents to manage challenging behaviour without resorting to physical chastisement.
- Raise awareness of child development and help parents meet the needs of their children through all the stages of childhood.
- Provide parents with practical advice on all aspects of parenting, including internet use, bullying and working with schools and professionals.
- Help parents with practical issues such as housing or immigration.
Please contact Tom Stephenson (Social Worker) on 0207 704 2261 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss a referral or see the attached referral documents if you are ready to make a referral for this service.
Download our Referral forms below: